Saturday, July 07, 2007

Unexpected consequences of the smoking ban - or how Louise met Gary from China Crisis

I popped down to the Richmond for a drink last night, quite late and because it is now illegal to smoke in pubs I went outside for a quick puff (sorry Mum!).

I couldnt get my matches to light in the wind so I approached two nice looking chaps on a nearby table for a light and we got chatting. It turned out that they were brothers, Colin (another one for Adele to get confused about) and Gary Daly. We had a lovely chat and Colin told me that brother Gary was the lead singer in China Crisis.

I had heard the name before but had to admit that I didnt really know what they had sung off the top of my head. However, I did tell them that indoors were two good friends of mine, Colin and Terry who were extremely big fans of popular music, especially those from the North-West and would no doubt know every little detail about the group.

I went back inside and sure enough they both had all the requisite albums and they asked me to go back outside and ask Colin and Gary to join us, which they did, and a lot of mutual "do you remember when" type conversations subsequently ensued.

Today I was played some China Crisis hits and I did recall at least two of them, although ironically their best top twenty entry, at number 9, Wishful Thinking was the only one that Gary did not sing!

Two very nice blokes. This smoking ban is even better than I had hoped it would be, who will I meet next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lou i think i shall have to give you a list of 70's 80's groups but for now see if you can bump into ian mcculloch from the bunnymen.
Colin