Saturday, July 07, 2007

Yet another councillorship module - working with constituents

I had an email last week from one of our committee clerks, Michael Jones, asking me whether I would be interested in a councillorship module into working with constituents which was run the year before I was elected but which he thought he would re-run for new arrivals.

After some deliberations - after all I am already studying one module and holding down a full time job as well as being a full time councillor - I decided to go for it. If they can teach me new and successful ways of serving my constituents then I want to do it!

I turned up for the session and it was just me and Michael Jones.

He was sweet enough to hold the course open, even though I was the only student, and I had an interesting presentation on organising surgeries, and advertising them in ways that will attract residents from all the different communities.

It was good stuff, I may well have bitten off more than I can chew with this extra module but I want to learn as much as I can about being an effective councillor and if it means a few months of particularly hard work then so be it.

No comments: