Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Slavery Remembrance Day events 2007

Thursday 23 August 2007 is the International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition. It is 200 years since the abolition.

Liverpool is planning a host of activities - click on the title of this blog to reach the Liverpool Museums website which tell you all about them, but hurry, it is this Thursday, it is probably today in fact as you read this.

Get down to Otterspool and give your support!

The new International Slavery museum in Liverpool in the old Granada building at Albert Dock opens on Thursday too. Edit - I was told that was where it was going to be but I think in reality it is still in the Maritime museum, I have not been there yet. Does anyone know precisely where it is? This recognises that the slave trade is alive and well and in particular in terms of prostitution - using my words with care so that I dont fall foul of people's filters, as well as looking back to the slavery of Africans.

Lots of opportunity for you to celebrate and show solidarity.

Thanks to the museum for sharing the information with me about all of the events and for helping me to help you to learn about them too

No comments: