Sunday, May 18, 2008

Liverpool Wavertree Labour Party dinner

We had a great dinner on Friday night at the Devonshire House Hotel (my second visit in a week!)

About 150 people helped us raise vital funds for the constituency Labour Party. We were joined by guests from the Liverpool Scottish regiment, by local teachers and head-teachers, staff from Boaler Street and Leighton Dene old people's care centres, the Chrysalis Domestic Violence Project and various other organisations (I didnt take a list but there were loads) and also by some special individuals who I shant list for fear of causing them to blush - but we knew who you were.

We were supported by two local Housing Associations, Thomson's Solicitors, UNISON and all the other Labour Party constituencies.

We were also entertained all evening by wonderful young people from the Liverpool School of Music.

Ed Balls, Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families was the after-dinner speaker, introduced by our own Minister, the Rt Hon Jane Kennedy, Financial Secretary to the Treasury and the MC was none other than Old Swan member Councillor Joe Anderson.

We had a lovely evening, made lots of money on the raffle (and I should know, I sold the tickets) and I recruited three new members. It was a really good evening, but I think next year we shall have to close with a disco as there were lots of itchy feet and no chance to strut our stuff. And Mr Twigg and I do like to strut our stuff in the Dev!

The evening came to a surreal end as I shared a taxi home with Tim Moore and a vaccuum cleaner, singing Jerusalem. A great time was had by all.

No comments: