Sunday, April 26, 2009

Churches Together Easter Service

Last Sunday, at the end of a special week of churches working together that I told you about here, we had a cross-congregational service at Kensington Junior School.

It was very moving and also very funny. Some of the church members performed a really fantastic puppet show, about the lost lamb - you probably had to be there, but there was Baa-baa-baa-ram and also an adaptation of a Beatles song which now completely escapes me. The puppet show has been round the schools in the area and all the kids have thoroughly enjoyed it. We heard from the volunteers who had been doing acts of random kindness throughout the week in the area, tidying up gardens for the elderly, knocking on doors to ask if people wanted them to pray for anything special (an interesting twist on what I ask when I knock) and spending time with different community groups. They had also taken on some casework, helping a family of Romanians who needed to go back home.

There was a really lovely feeling of community during the service and I came out feeling really empowered. Congratulations to everyone who worked so hard to make the week a success.

Reverend Andrew Porter has now begun a four month sabbatical and I would like to wish him well with that. I am sure the time will fly by!

No comments: