Thursday, July 02, 2009

Liverpool Wavertree CLP GC

Last week we had our Liverpool Wavertree Constituency Labour Party General Committee (or Wavertree GC for short) and I dont usually blog about these monthly meetings because either you would not be interested or they are too full of secret squirrel stuff for me to share.

And I am not going to tell you loads about this one either, but a few points merit mention.

We had Joe Ando to give the council report, he is normally too busy to come to us, so it falls to me, Wendy, Liam or Jim, he was great. Then Jane talked about the background to her resignation, which was fascinating and for which we gave her our support.

We also discussed our local policy commissions, just getting started for next year's manifesto, there is going to be massive member engagement and also members of the community, partners and agencies, I am really looking forward to it.

But I was particularly delighted at the sheer diversity round the table, men and women, black and white (and Asian), young and old - from 20 something to 70 something, members with disabilities (physical and learning), from LGBT - at least two of those groupings, different religions, TU members, co-operators, from different countries - within the UK and wider. I have never in my life been to a meeting with such diverse members, I had a tear in my eye on the way home, just thinking about how far we have come over the years since I became a member.

If we can maintain that level of diversity and keep listening to and heeding all those voices then "the future is ours my son" (she paraphrases)

No comments: