Thursday, December 23, 2010

Debbie Abrahams to fight Oldham East and Saddleworth for Labour

I realise this is not exactly news, but I had posted about the search for a candidate earlier so I ought to comment on the outcome.

I am absolutely delighted of course.

Debbie was the Parliamentary Candidate for Labour in the neighbouring seat of Colne Valley in May, and although she did not win, she was an extremely good candidate. Readers may be aware that I lived in the Colne Valley until 2004 (and was their LP campaign organiser from 1996 - 1999) and I know how Debbie won the respect of the local party for the way she conducted herself and her campaign. She is a highly respected academic with huge experience in Health and is professional, articulate, energetic, passionate and very bright. She lives locally and understands local concerns and issues. She will be a wonderful addition to Parliament if successful, I think the good people of Oldham East and Saddleworth can already see that and I look forward to seeing her on the Commons benches very soon.

(Photo from the Huddersfield Daily Examiner)


Election day will be January 13th, see you on the (very cold) stump!

1 comment:

scouseboy said...

The ever opportunistic Fib Dems, calling the first January By Election since 1966!
Given the fact the Fib Dems have (disgracfully) got into bed with the Tories, I hope they get their just desserts and get hammered by Labour!