Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Liverpool's Man Booker Prize Event at Garston Library

A great night last night, beautifully organised by Peter Wallace, the Reader Development Officer from Liverpool City Council. Sadly his last as he is taking early retirement at the end of the month. He has been brilliant in his role and I know we will all miss him dearly.

Six people read extracts from the shortlisted books and talked about their perceptions and then we voted on which book we thought would win. We were right! Julian  Barnes with The Sense of an Ending won in the country as well as in the stunning Garston library.

I read from Carol Birch's Jamrach's Menagerie, which I didn't enjoy at all, unfortunately, if you want my notes, just send me an email and I will post them over to you.

But I loved hearing about the other books, talking to readers from book groups across the city about what they liked, and swapping tips about good reads. We also found out about a new set of books, republished to celebrate 21 years of Vintage, the covers are beautiful and I look forward to seeing a few of them on the shelves in Kenny library.

You will be able to hear audio footage of the evening on the next edition of the Reading Room on KVFM online.

No comments: